Drifting question

Discussion for anything counter-steer RC drifting!
Greywolf74
What's CS?
What's CS?
Drift Chassis: Yokomo Type C Drift Package Plus Clone

Drifting question

Postby Greywolf74 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:27 pm

In a drifter is it better to have a sensored or non sensored motor and why?

Also whats the ideal KV range for a drifter?

valentin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Drift Chassis: D-Like Re-R

Re: Drifting question

Postby valentin » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:07 pm

Ideally, you would want a sensored motor. Sensored motors typically run much "smoother" than a sensorless and allow you to have good "low throttle" control.

everyone runs different motors depending on their environment such as the size of their track or surface. In my opinion, roughly 4000- 5000kv (~8.5t) is a good all around motor choice. Some may prefer more, or less but overall you don't need much power to drift so even a slower motor like a 10.5 or even 13.5 can be good

tatmanfish
Still Turns In
Still Turns In
Drift Chassis: TA05 VDF

Postby tatmanfish » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:12 am

Yep. Hes spot on. I run sensorless myself and just adjusted my throttle curve so it performs pretty close to what snsored motors do on the low end. Most people wont notice a big difference between the two unless theyve been drifting awhile. Egen then, its not a drastic difference imo.

Greywolf74
What's CS?
What's CS?

Postby Greywolf74 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:34 am

Sensored is what i figured but someone on FB was trying to tell me sensorless was better so thats why i joined here to ask. I find a lot of people on FB dont know very much about RCs. Im no stranger to RCs just drifting.

I have a Tekin 8.5T (5300kv) that i was thinking of using in my kit. Would that be a good motor to use as a newb or should I get something slower like Tekins 10.5T which is 4500kv?

Also on a friends recommendation I bought a Yokomo Type C Chassis Drift Package Plus Clone. The clone is supposed to be fully compatible with the Yokomo Type C Chassis Drift Package Plus parts. Is that a decent kit to start off with?

bajaboy5b
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting
Drift Chassis: 3 VDFs :P

Postby bajaboy5b » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:08 pm

I'd go with the 10.5 myself as even a 17.5 is enough to drift well.

Real Yokomo parts should fit, most clone stuff isn't reliable and the plastic tends to be much more brittle than real parts though.

-Jeremy
Team PINK!!!

Greywolf74
What's CS?
What's CS?

Postby Greywolf74 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:32 pm

I'll look into getting a 10.5 its what Im seeing recommended the most.

the clone I was told since the Yokomo parts fit I could just replace the clone parts with Yokomo parts as it breaks/wears out....is this not a good strategy? Should I just save up and get a good kit right from the get go? Ive already got the clone....maybe it would be good to learn on at the very least or no?

tatmanfish
Still Turns In
Still Turns In

Postby tatmanfish » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:23 pm

It also depend on brand of motor. Ive had the lower level castle amd the 4-pole and the 4pole has less cogging. I also had a tekin motor that didnt cog very much either. Sensored motors eliminate most of the cog.

If youre drifting tight tracks its the most noticable between sensored and unsensored.

Turns also depends on the track size and if your trying to keep up with low cs or 50\50 guys. I prefer 8.5-9.5 for bigger tracks.

What system are you thinking about getting?

Greywolf74
What's CS?
What's CS?

Postby Greywolf74 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:26 am

What Ive already bought is a Tekin 8.5 and I could use either an MMP or an RX8, I have an extra of each laying around. Sounds like I may want to get a Tekin 10.5 to start out with seeing as how Im a total newb and have never drifted before. Then I can hang on to the 8.5 for later on if i need a little higher kv.

What about the upgrading the clone issue though? Does that sound like a good idea or should I just start off with it and then move on to an actual Yokomo (or other good name brand) once the clone breaks?

tatmanfish
Still Turns In
Still Turns In

Postby tatmanfish » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:21 am

Id just run with what you have. Drift cars rarely break anything. Only thing I ever replace is tires and belts....maybe an occasional bearing.

Keep drifting with that until you develop good skills and then you could always look for a nicer chassis. I only look for weight balance and parts availability in a chassis. Yokomos are nice, but being in the states I avoid them due to shipping times because most parts come from japan and china. Or you pay a crap ton in shipping to get them in a reasonable time frame. UIf you have patience though, they are one of the best companies out there for drifting.

Return to “General Discussion”