Finding a good radio for RC drifting

Discussion for anything counter-steer RC drifting!
Sanbyaku Rokuju
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting
Drift Chassis: Tamiya TA05 VDF II

Finding a good radio for RC drifting

Postby Sanbyaku Rokuju » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:53 am

Hi CSJ,

I'm in the market for a new radio for my drift car. I'm pretty sure many have asked this same question over and over. Before hand that I posted this thread I tried my best to look for reviews on the radios I wanted to get. I also looked at other forums just to see what everyone else are using. The last radio I used back in 2005 is a JR 3 channel radio. After that I lost track and went to helicopter radios. Now that I got myself a drift car, I certainly cannot use my heli radio so I wanted to get a new one. Money is not a concern.

Here are my choices: Futaba 4PK / Sanwa/Airtronics M12 / Ko Propo EX1 K.I.Y.

So far I've seen many Futaba and Airtronics users. I even went to the extent of reading a Japanese RC drift magazine and checked that RC drifts choice of radios. Many in Japan uses the Sanwa/Airtronics M11x and M12 and the others uses Futaba 4PK.

What I'd like to know is not about latency, speed, how it feels, and what not. What I want to know is the ease of use, ease of programming, and support.

Thanks for any replies!

ridinvintage
Still Turns In
Still Turns In
Drift Chassis: TA-05 GRT 2.14cs, OTA-R31 in the works

Re: Finding a good radio for RC drifting

Postby ridinvintage » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:09 am

I prefer the feel of airtronics over spektrum, I prefer a stiffer trigger though. I have the MX3 Sport and it's a really nice transmitter for a decent price. It has all the features you would need, like exponential dual rate and all that jazz. Only thing that I don't like about it is the styling.

valentin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Drift Chassis: D-Like Re-R

Postby valentin » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:07 pm

I use an Airtronics/Sanwa MT-4, but if you really want to spend the big bucks, the M12 is the new hot ticket. The M11X will eventually be discontinued, so if you (or anyone for that matter) want to get an older but still very nice radio, i'd look at the M11X. They are going on sale for roughly $250 at Hobby People (in store only).

The M12 is a super nice radio but comes with a hefty price. But with that hefty price you get the radio, two wheels, two grips, a drop down as well as the angle pieces for the drop down.

RE-Xtreme
CSJ VIP
Drift Chassis: Dp SSG 1.8, DRB 1.5, DIB 275 1.8

Postby RE-Xtreme » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:48 pm

M12 is totally un-necessary. but of course it has some amazing features and response is amazing.

MT4 is an awesome piece of gear for the price. Most importantly it's LIGHT. 1 full day of drift means no strain.
Even the telemetry on the MT-4 is pretty much just for show in the drift arena.
You can use the rpm and temp sensors for gearing selection though.
Add a good Sanwa BL servo and you will have great feel.

With a large number of runners, 30+, Ive seen 4PK can have interference.
Visit me for more info on http://rextremerc.blogspot.com/

Sanbyaku Rokuju
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Postby Sanbyaku Rokuju » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:46 am

Thanks for all the replies! It seems everyone is on the Airtronics/Sanwa radio. Anyone alse here has any exprience with Ko Propo's EX 1 KIY? I was really opting for the Ko Propo EX 1 KIY since it looks futuristic, modular design, and a plethora of cool features. However I'm concerned with the overall aspect of the radio as it looks delicate specially the antenna and the swivel LCD screen. Sometimes mishaps are inevitable and those thing might break-off easily. Not to mentioned it lacks the additional accessories as the drop down steering column. Where as Airtronics and Futaba includes it on their kit.

I'm visit my local hobby shop and see if I can checkout the Airtronics M11x and M12 and Futaba 4PK and see how it feels. Sadly I don't know any other hobby shops that have a Ko Propo EX 1 KIY in stock. I want to check that out too and see how it feels.

multi-bash
Still Turns In
Still Turns In
Drift Chassis: OTA-R31 on Novak. Xray T2 009, gone.

Postby multi-bash » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:43 pm

All the "professionals" in RCRK rock the Spektrum. The scroll wheel on DX3R and up models is really easy to use - easy graphical representation. I like the trigger profile on these.

But ultimately, you just gotta try and hold them all!
-=Raincity Raji Kon=- Senior Building Reconnaissance Advisor - Hit me up to drift in the 206/425!
http://www.facebook.com/raincityrajikon
http://raincityrajikon.blogspot.com/
OTA-R31 - CS and eagle'd out in goooold, Novak GTBII + Balistic 8.5t

Blaze0303
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting
Drift Chassis: Yokomo DIB

Postby Blaze0303 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:32 pm

4PL.
Gettin sideways since 2011.

Sanbyaku Rokuju
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Postby Sanbyaku Rokuju » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:57 pm

My radio finally came in! My choice is the Futaba 4PK Super R. I'm currently going through the manual which is by the way is like a novel book. So far I'm liking all it's features though it lacks telemetry, but as I researched different RC drift forums nobody really uses that feature and only a handful does.

Return to “General Discussion”