broken dog dones. ta05

Discussion for anything counter-steer RC drifting!

broken dog dones. ta05

Postby tnorton » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:11 pm

odd problem i have at the moment. i seem to have broken an end of the dogbone clean off and the other side isnt far from that same. it only seems to be happening on the front and only on the end closest to the tire. and it seems that my hub/knuckles are being polished by this action. im sure that isnt going to be good for them either but at the moment im just looking to fix this problem and stop it from happening again.

heres a couple of pics to show what im talking about

as you can see the dogbone's clearly missing one end. and the other is being cut away. and on the hub/knuckel (whatever its called) its polished clean. lol now i guess iv noticed this before because it seems as tho i spun the dogbone around because both ends are torn up. and its not limited to one sides' wheel, both dogbones are damaged. i just happened to brake this one first. anybody out there able to shed some light on why this is happening or how i can fix it so it doesnt happen again? id really appreicate some help on this. im stumped, iv never seen this happen before.
tnorton
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Drift Chassis: Tamiya TA-05 V2

Re: broken dog dones. ta05

Postby dencio1976 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:58 am

upgrade to swing shafts. when you modify the steering this likely what happens.

im surprised though that you havent replaced them with swing shafts/cvd/universal joint
dencio1976
Still Turns In
Still Turns In

Drift Chassis: Tamiya 414M/TA03R

Postby tamiya » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:07 am

yeah you need CVDs aka Universals ... or even Double-Cardan if you can get them :)

have never seen a dogbone worn away that far before... we only ever use them at rear, at most.
Never in the front as it doesn't angle enough before it hangsup the steering.
tamiya
Still Turns In
Still Turns In

Drift Chassis: TA01/2/3/4/5/6, TBeIII/IV/5, TB03, ProD...

Postby Stalwart » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:44 pm

I have the same problem with both stock and Overdose universals. Just clean and lubricate them more often
Stalwart
Still Turns In
Still Turns In

Drift Chassis: Yokomo SD

Postby tnorton » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:44 pm

quote "upgrade to swing shafts. when you modify the steering this likely what happens."

i havn't modified the steering at all yet. its completely stock. i will however upgrade to universials or cvds if u perfer. i know that the ta05 takes 46mm long ones. i have a question tho, because if im going to change to univerals, im only buy one set. i plan on chaning the front end to the ota-r31 suspention; caster blocks, arms, and hubs. do i need to get longer/shorter shafts? or still buy the 46mm ones?
tnorton
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Postby Stalwart » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:42 pm

Genuine R31 suspension kit includes shafts and bearings. I'm considering this swap too, but after some research i decided to wait until my current bearings and shafts wear out or break
Stalwart
Still Turns In
Still Turns In

Postby tnorton » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:59 pm

yeah but the entire suspention kit on race-and-drift-japan.com is like $100..... but thinking about it for a sec, it does come with everything for that suspention and just the arms kuckels and hubs are 25 thats not including the bearings and universals... that might not be a bad route to go.
tnorton
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Postby Stalwart » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:26 pm

I believe you didn't notice TA05 and R31 have different bearing diameters and shafts are not interchangeable
Stalwart
Still Turns In
Still Turns In

Return to General Discussion