Help with spinning out

Discussion for anything counter-steer RC drifting!

Help with spinning out

Postby 04sti20 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:31 pm

So I have a yokomo mr4tc bdm that's 66% cs here's my mods
66% cs
Pinion:19
Spur:82
Street jam mediums
I believe I have yokomo silver springs?
But this is my problem. I kinda used katsumi's bdm set up to give me a starting point. It actually drifts good but only when I turn right. When I turn left, towards the motor side, it wants to just spin out. But the other way seems pretty easy. The car came with weight already on it, the battery cover has some weights on it then some right behind the battery on the chassis. I don't really know where to put weight.I dont have scales either to balance it.
04sti20
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Drift Chassis: Yokomo mr4tc bdm

Re: Help with spinning out

Postby tatmanfish » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:09 pm

thats tough to guess. it sounds like a weight issue....I found scales for $8 each on ebay.

otherwise your going to be moving weights back and forth until it begins to stabilize.
tatmanfish
Still Turns In
Still Turns In

Drift Chassis: TA05 VDF

Postby 04sti20 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:50 am

Do I would be pretty much guessing untill I get scales? But even if I get scales what am I looking for as far as weighing it goes? Does each corner have to be even?
04sti20
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Postby tatmanfish » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:17 am

yeah, youll just be guessing.

If you get scales, put one at each corner of the chassis(4 total). Do not use the arms or tires as you resting point on the scales as youll never get an accurate readout. The contact point on the scale will cause varying read outs depending on where the tire/arms sit on the scale.
tatmanfish
Still Turns In
Still Turns In

Postby 04sti20 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:26 am

So I need to keep the wheels directly in the middle of each scale is what your saying. Which scale do I get on eBay? Does it matter how much the scale can hold? Most of them are 2 pound max. And as far as where to place the weights am I looking for 50/50 front to back and left to right?
04sti20
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Postby tatmanfish » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:38 pm

Im saying DONT put the wheels or arms on the scales. If you do that, its impossible to get an accurate reading. Its impossible to get the wheels or arms on the exact dead center. Also, how even your shocks are built will also effect the balance. plus we know that the weight of the arms are the exact same weight. Its whats in your chassis that is effecting the balance.

use the corners of the chassis with 4 digital pocket scales(1000g capacity is plenty as most cars are only going to be around 300-400g of weight on each scale). Your left to right balance is most important. Thats whats going to effect your handling when going left or right. The front to rear balance depends on your drifting style and setup. Most guys are putting more weight in the front to keep the front tires planted and allowing the rear to slide out softer.
tatmanfish
Still Turns In
Still Turns In

Postby dencio1976 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:55 pm

if you can, just rebuild it to it's current spec. you might come across something that's not functioning properly.

just yesterday i had the same problem. i had a malfuntioning FOW and a cracked rear gearbox. after i fixed it, spinout problem fixed.

if that doesnt solve your problem then you can experiment with weights. or maybe you can do your own tune
dencio1976
Still Turns In
Still Turns In

Drift Chassis: Tamiya 414M/TA03R

Return to General Discussion