DIB or DRB?

Discussion for anything counter-steer RC drifting!

DIB or DRB?

Postby badpanda » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:10 pm

G'day everyone,
Badpanda checking in from Australia. This is my first post here so I thought I'd introduce myself as well.

Started rc drifing in 08' with my Tamiya TT-01D RX7. Love that bit of kit, and to date it's still my only drift specific chassis. Took a 'break' for a couple of years while I tinkered with rc helis, and now I'm back. Having recently I decided to get back in the scene, I was doing some research on the various chassis' available now. It's good to see there have been some major strides since 08, especially when it comes to CS.

Initially I'd narrowed it down to the newly released Yokomo DIB, but after having received some prices back from Japan (including the 2 upgrade packages), it's going to bump the overall cost to around $800AUD. From what I can tell this isn't too far off the price of a DRB, the flagship drift chassis from Yokomo.

So my question is, even though the DIB is newer, does it offer any major innovations over the DRB? I've read that the battery placement is better for drifitng in the DIB but that's about it. Price wise, my budget was only really around the upper $500 amount, but with the DIB upgrades it bumps it right up there.

Secondary question - what other chassis' should I be looking at for my price range? I'd want a belt driven, front motor mounted design with scope for future hop ups.

Also, just in case anyone is interested, I've purchased the following parts recently in my efforts to 'get up to date':

- FS-GT3B radio
- Savox 1258TG high speed servo
- Xerun 8.5T sensored brushless system

Tl;dr - Been out of the scene for a while, have reverted back to being a noob.

badpanda
badpanda
What's CS?
What's CS?

Drift Chassis: Yokomo DIB Red Edition

Re: DIB or DRB?

Postby Murdock » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:18 am

DRB is so Awesome! DIB is eh for me...
MST - MS-01D Pro - Build thread click HERE
Tamiya - TA05VDF - Build thread click HERE
HB/HPI - TC-FD - Build thread click HERE
Yokomo - SSG DRB - Build thread click HERE
Murdock
Still Turns In
Still Turns In

Drift Chassis: VDF, DRB, TCX, E4FS, R31

Postby Saitama_D » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:48 am

mst
Saitama_D
Still Turns In
Still Turns In

Drift Chassis: MST MS-01D Pro Black-Silver Edition

Postby bajaboy5b » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:57 am

If you're not already on the Melb drift forum here's a link www.melbrc.org

I would get a VDF or OTA R31 if i were you.

The motor you have though would be a little bit too much for the R31 though.

Jeremy.
Team PINK!!!
bajaboy5b
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Drift Chassis: 3 VDFs :P

Postby marshun » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:14 pm

i got a couple team mates that got 8.5 motors on the r31. r31's are good chassis.

but between the drb and the dib.....thats a hard call. i have no experience with the dib, but i do have a kyosho thats set up the same way, great chassis. the drb is real good too. i'd go with whichever you can get more steering angle with.
marshun
Still Turns In
Still Turns In

Drift Chassis: yokomo drift package

Postby multi-bash » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:16 pm

I run a Novak Ballistic 8.5t on my OTA-r31, no problems here. Though you'll rarely need the full power, unless you run a track with giant sweepers.

I'd go DIB, personally. Forget the motor mount for now, and stick to one way/rear spool for mods. I really dig the center battery layout on my OTA, and nearly went DRB a few months back. I'm going to pick-up a DIB next time I get out to Japan.
-=Raincity Raji Kon=- Senior Building Reconnaissance Advisor - Hit me up to drift in the 206/425!
http://www.facebook.com/raincityrajikon
http://raincityrajikon.blogspot.com/
OTA-R31 - CS and eagle'd out in goooold, Novak GTBII + Balistic 8.5t
multi-bash
Still Turns In
Still Turns In

Drift Chassis: OTA-R31 on Novak. Xray T2 009, gone.

Postby Murdock » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:27 pm

LOL Guys the questions is DRB vs DIB not all the other chasis that we think are great.... LOL
Murdock
Still Turns In
Still Turns In

Postby FunkRenegade » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:00 pm

OP, do you like inline or horizontal battery? Comes down to that preference.
FunkRenegade
Still Turns In
Still Turns In

Drift Chassis: brokomo DIB

Postby bajaboy5b » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:48 pm

multi-bash wrote:I run a Novak Ballistic 8.5t on my OTA-r31, no problems here. Though you'll rarely need the full power, unless you run a track with giant sweepers.

I'd go DIB, personally. Forget the motor mount for now, and stick to one way/rear spool for mods. I really dig the center battery layout on my OTA, and nearly went DRB a few months back. I'm going to pick-up a DIB next time I get out to Japan.

Our main style track has a HUGE sweeper and i go fine with my 17.5 ( really a 13.5 running at 50% power since i don't see a point running max ).
Team PINK!!!
bajaboy5b
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Drift Chassis: 3 VDFs :P

Postby badpanda » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:07 pm

Cheers for all the replies guys. Gonna check out the mst and r31 kits you've recommended.

I only have experience with the horizontal battery layout on my tt01 so can't comment on what I prefer. I would assume horizontal layout would have better balance spread along the body of the chassis though?

In terms of the other kits which have been recommended, quality wise, how do they stand against the yokomo kits?

Will def check out the melbrc forum bajaboy

- badpanda
badpanda
What's CS?
What's CS?

Postby badpanda » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:20 am

Hey all,

Sorry for the double post, but after reading Murdoch's build thread for the the TA05VDF gold edition, it's gonna be between that and the DIB for me I think.

Both kits are in my price range, although the DIB is in the upper limit.

Do you think it's worth paying a little more for the DIB? Coz for bling factor alone the TA05 has nearly won me over.

I do like the battery layout position on the DIB though, and overall the chassis looks a little 'cleaner' if you know what I mean.

Finally, what's the most competitive websites you've found that you can order kits on? I found banzaihobby today.

Cheers,

Badpanda
badpanda
What's CS?
What's CS?

Postby apique_14 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:10 pm

I vote for dib with aluminium upgrade...but since u have tt01..why u do not plan to upgrade it...so it wil cost u instead u starting with a new kit..
RC-Art White Wolf CE-RX CS 1.79
Sakura Zero S 50:50
apique_14
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Drift Chassis: RC-Art White Wolf CE-RX

Postby badpanda » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:37 pm

Hi Apique,

Thanks for your input.

The reason I don't want to upgrade the TT-01 anymore (I've already put into some Alu parts) is because from all accounts people say it's not worth it. The TT01 was a great kit to learn the basics on, but for actual performance most people recommended starting with a better grade kit.

I could probably spend another $200 on upgrades and make the best it can be, but it still wouldn't be able to hold ground against any of the other higher end models out there.

Cheers
badpanda
What's CS?
What's CS?

Postby Automatix » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:19 am

If it's between VDF and DIB I would go for the Yokomo. Had a VDF and a DRB and spent a hell of money to get the VDF were I wanted it (Bulkheads, better steering, Active hobby chassis with more flex to get better mechanical grip). In my point of view the chassis layout of the VDF is to stiff if you plan to go for CS ;)
Automatix
Rally Style Drifting
Rally Style Drifting

Drift Chassis: TA06 overdosed & Yokomo DIB

Postby Murdock » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:20 am

I been hearing mix reviews about DIB. Too much front weight and you loose rear traction. One thing about the DIB is most people that bought it seem to be not happy with it. The VDF is a nice car, but requires so much tuning. If you can afford it get the DRB. After all the hop ups the VDF is around the same price as the out of box DRB.

I have almost every chassis made, and I run MST MS01D Pro and DRB for comps. MS01D and DRB feel very similar with the MS01D feeling a little lighter.

DRB FTW!
Murdock
Still Turns In
Still Turns In

Postby FunkRenegade » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:47 am

You dont know what you're talking about. There are plenty of people out there with good results. Front weight bias calms the rear end down. R31, R3R, DIB, all have plenty rear grip. Try one out and form your own opinion.
FunkRenegade
Still Turns In
Still Turns In

Postby Dr.Fate » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:34 pm

I loves the R31 layout but I'll make sweet love to the DIB! Now if traction is a problem I say do these things first and I did these with my R31 :
1. Get DIB
2. Go big or go home and get the 2.0. CS kit.
3. Get that rear end down to 0 tow in the rear.
4. Test out shock oils for track/surface
5. Use a 5000-6000 lipo
That's about till mine shows up on the mail. I'm happy with it and I ain't even got it! Plus there's a conversion for it coming out soon called the DIB-R motor in the rear like the TA06.
Dr.Fate
Still Turns In
Still Turns In

Drift Chassis: GPX-R, R31ML, OTA-ZEON & RWD D.D.C.

Postby FunkRenegade » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:40 pm

To me, converting to mid-rear motor layout defeats the purpose of this chassis. Before I bought the car, I planned to use drb battery holder to mount the battery sideways, but I'm quite happy with the inline layout.
FunkRenegade
Still Turns In
Still Turns In

Postby Dr.Fate » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:50 pm

FunkRenegade wrote:To me, converting to mid-rear motor layout defeats the purpose of this chassis. Before I bought the car, I planned to use drb battery holder to mount the battery sideways, but I'm quite happy with the inline layout.

I plan on doing that too! But I also plan on getting mine copied in aluminum. why not?
Dr.Fate
Still Turns In
Still Turns In

Postby Dr.Fate » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:06 pm

Okay Got the DIB in and built it and I love it! Got the 2.0 CS kit out the door. My team loves it, says it smooth as hell and agrees with me on this one statement "The DIB feels like a fully Hopped up R31, way more refined." I feel that folks where looking for something Magical to happen when they pull it out the box, like turn them into R/C DK , LOL! SMH! For reals guys this is a nice chassis for price, IMO. Plus at the end of the day, You can always Velcro the battery sideways. I might try that tomorrow for sh**s and giggles.
Dr.Fate
Still Turns In
Still Turns In

Postby badpanda » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:13 am

Hey guys,

I decided to go with the DIB too. Just finished the build tonight. Looks fantastic! Waiting on some electronics to arrive before I can test this bad boy out.

If anyone's interested, I did a build thread over at Melb RC (my local drift forum).

http://melbrc.org/vB/showthread.php?t=5329

*I am kwandokun over there.
badpanda
What's CS?
What's CS?

Return to General Discussion